Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 08:25:57 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        jerry@border.com, hm@altona.hamburg.com, mikee@sys8.wfc.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xforms maintenance tools (was Re: Tcl/Tk sysinstall)

>From the keyboard of Nate Williams:

> > > One should use a toolkit which runs under both X and curses.
> >
> > Memory is cheap.  So is disk space...
>
> Yeah right.  16MB of memory is $700, and 1 Gig of disk is around $1500
> for my laptop.  I can buy a fully loaded desktop Pentium for the cost of
> those two parts alone.  A laptop that runs X nicely is gonna cost you
> about $5k, which is more than most can spend.  A laptop that can run
> FreeBSD nicely will set you back about $2.5K, about half.
>
> X is *not* an option for many laptop owners, and judging for the
> (and common).

Its not only the laptop. For many server type machines (which are probably
remote maintained) it does not make any sense to install X, but it does
make sense to have some (fullscreen) systems administration tools available.

In my job i work mainly with HP 9000/800 machines, and one thing they really
did right was to make it possible to run the system adminstration tool (sam)
in both character mode and under X. In case i do local systems management
i'll use the X version, remote i can easily use the character based one. It
saved (not only) us countless thousands of kilometers travelling ....

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis           hm@altona.hamburg.com              Hamburg, Europe
                                              (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nstall BSD ?