Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 2008 23:08:43 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org>
To:        Jake Evans <jakeevans@ircds.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no reverse DNS causing connectivity problems

[mailed and posted]

On Jun 9, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Jake Evans wrote:

> I've had a few people complain that when they telnet/ssh/ftp/web to
> our server, it's slow... I've traced the problem to them having no
> reverse on their IPs.

You should configure your servers to not do the reverse lookup.  Not
resolving is certainly the default for Apache.  For sshd, set UseDNS
to "no" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  As for telnet and ftp, I don't know
where that might be configured.

Of course I don't know your needs and situation, but some people might
consider it a reasonable policy to disallow ssh and telnet (and
certainly mail) from hosts that don't have proper PTR records.

-j