Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:20:05 +0200
From:      Michael Schuster - TSC SunOS Germany <michael.schuster@germany.sun.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> The perception of new users is really a very big factor here - people who
> spend any time listening to newbie comments (as opposed to just talking
> about their 20-year old UNIX habits and how they're too old to change)
> will know how much we Lose here when they're used to a system (Linux) with
> a "friendly" default shell.

I think there's a big difference between a default shell (read "for
non-root users") and root's shell. I see no technical reason (and if there
is, it needs to be amended) to not keep these two seperate.

IMO, changing the root shell to anything but /bin/sh (esp. something as
incompatible as *csh) is a bad move. There's just too much that depends on
this.

> Kris

cheers
Michael