Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:05:24 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@columbus.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using adaptec 29160

First off, thanks to everyone who responded with information.

To bring everyone up to date:
We built the machine and installed FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE yesterday, it's
an ASUS mobo with Athlon 750 processor, 256M RAM and dual 29160N
controllers to 2 IBM 18G Ultra160 drives.
On the first installation attempt, the machine hung during file copy.
We tweaked the SCSI bios to use 80MB/sec transfer instead of
160MB/sec. The install went fine as well as a kernel build (woohoo -
fast!) and everything seems to be just dandy now.
The machine will be installed in the client's facil in a test config
today and run that way ~2 weeks before going into live production.
I'll post again with details if it gives us any probs. The machine
will be a SQL server for a medical records system running MySQL.

David Miller wrote:
> Is probably a reflection of the fact that you can hook more up to a PCI
> bus than you can get through it.
>
> IE, pci is only 132 MB/sec, and you can probably exceed that with just the
> 29160, never mind the ethernet.

This is interesting. Yes, theoretically a single 19160N should be able
to do 160MB/sec.

-Bill