Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 1995 15:12:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      A boy and his worm gear <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.05R reboot hangs

Of all the gin joints in all the world, Rodney W. Grimes had to walk
into mine and say:

[lots of discussion about failed system resets]

> This problem has actually been around for a long time (machines that
> would not detect a CPU shutdown cycle have always hung during the
> reboot).  I don't know if I have made the problem worse or better
> though with my keyboard reset, as that now seems to hang machines
> that did not hang before.  Perhaps I should reverse the logic of
> the #ifdef and only use the keyboard reset on machines that have
> broken cpu shutdown detection.
>
> Comments?
> --
> Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
> Accurate Automation Company                 Reliable computers for FreeBSD

I have a thought. I may be barking up the wrong tree here, and for all I
know this could be impossible, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there's a BIOS routine that
can be used for rebooting the system. Now, I know using BIOS calls is a
no-no without a VM86 interface of some kind, but what I'm wondering
is if it's possible to force the system back into real mode just long
enough to call the BIOS reboot routine.

I've been reluctant to suggest this since I don't know a) how easy it
would be to do a 'quick and dirty' switch back to real mode, b) if it's
even _possible_ to switch back to real mode this late in the game,
c) whether or not the BIOS reset call exists or if it's just a figment
of my imagination or d) if it does exist, does it reset the system
correctly (i.e. will it cause all hardware to be reset properly).

My reasoning is that the BIOS reset function should be reasonably reliable
("It works in DOS" and all that crap). And since we're about to kill the
system anyway, maybe it wouldn't be that hard to jam the system back into
real mode for the purpose of this one call (we don't necessarily have
to be that neat about it since we don't ever intend to return).

So, am I nuts, or am I nuts?

-Bill

--
-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager