Date:      Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:36:33 -0500
From:      William Bulley <web@umich.edu>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: where to ask about problems with bsdinstall in 9.0RC2?

According to Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> on Sat, 11/19/11 at 03:14:

> xz(1) is the latest compression program around.  It usually gets better
> results than bzip2 so lots of usages are being switched to it. .txz is
> a tar archive compressed with xz.

Thanks.  Then it is so new that I'd not heard about it while trying to
manage my other responsibilities...  :-)

> Hmmm.. I wonder if the base.txz file on your install media has become
> corrupt?  If you've got a FreeBSD machine around (any supported 7.x or
> 8.x would do), you could just mount your 9.0 disk on it, find that file
> wherever it is in the disk, and see if 'tar -tvf base.txz' will show you
> the contents without errors.

Possible, but unlikely.  Plus I doubt that 'tar -tvf base.txz' without a
pipe having an "xzcat(1)" in front of the "tar(1)" command.  Maybe there
is an "xz" option for tar(1) during extraction mode, but my tar(1) man
page doesn't list any, sigh...  It does list -y and -z options for other
compression/decompression modes, hmmm....   :-(

> The other possibility is that you ran out of space in the partition you
> were trying to write to.  You'ld have to open an emergency holographic
> shell to investigate (does the new installer even have that wording?  It
> should...)  One thing to check is not only space usage but inode usage
> too.  There's an ongoing discussion about installing onto small drives
> and whether the bytes-to-inode ratio should be modified there.

As I have previously stated, my root, /var, and swap partitions are all
4 GB in size, and my /usr partition is 99 GB - likely plenty room in all.

> The lack of a leading '/' on the path you saw is normal -- your hard
> drive is mounted at something like /mnt while the system is installed
> onto it.  The installer is just using paths relative to that mountpoint.

Well, now that is interesting!  I hadn't thought of that possibility...

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards,

web...

--