Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:56:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lockups on 4.1.1-STABLE after upgrade from 3.4

:On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Jasper O'Malley wrote:
:
:> What I'm going to do [to resolve the lockups]:
:>
:> 1) Cvsup today's sources, just to be sure.
:>
:> 2) Bump NMBCLUSTERS up to 4096 and try out a new kernel.
:>
:> 3) Upgrade IP Filter to 3.4.11.
:
:Just an update to the list:
:
:I took all three of the above steps, in addition to bumping maxusers to
:128 from 32, and the box locked up again this morning. I've cvsupped
:4.1-RELEASE sources, and I'm remaking the world to see if the problem goes
:away.
:
:Cheers,
:Mick

    Just on the off-chance that the keyboard is not completely locked up,
    try enabling the DDB option in the kernel config and see if you can
    CTL-ALT-ESC into a DDB prompt from the console when it locked up on you.

    If you can, do a 'trace' and a 'ps'.

    Also check to see if you are running any processes that use special
    scheduler queues (aka idprio or rtprio).  If so, try not running those
    processes and see if the system locks up on you.  Note that 'ntpd' will
    often run at a realtime priority.  Try killing ntpd if you are running it.

						-Matt