Date:      Sun, 19 May 1996 09:15:29 -0400
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   2.1-RELEASE sound fixes for Opti 82c929.

Well -

 Using the 2.2-current sources as an example, along with the specs
from Opti; I've managed to hack 82C929 support into the 2.1-RELEASE
sound drivers.  Also, I made one fix; if all you have is a "mss0"
config line; the sound system isn't configured (a trival fix to local.h)

 In fact; I've gone one step beyond 2.2-current.  2.2-current only
supports the 82C929 in WSS mode.  I didn't like the clicking
that accompanies the WSS driver; so I hacked support for putting
the card in SB-Pro mode.  That works much better...

 The code I have follows the 2.1 scheme of requiring a compile-time
option for MAD16 support - OPTI_MAD16.  However; it could easily
be made non-optional since there is a probe for the MAD16 chips.

 I'd like to mail the diffs to someone for inclusion into 2.1-STABLE,
who would that be?

	 - Thanks -
	- Dave Rivers -

p.s. It's nice to (finally) be able to contribute something again :-)