Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:12:30 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building new kernel fails?

At 3:56 PM +0100 1999/9/13, Josef Karthauser wrote:

> cd /usr/ports/sysutils/mergemaster
> make install

	I've downloaded and installed it and read the man page, but I
have not yet run it.  I want to understand some more things about it
before I consider that.  Of course, that will include going back and
re-reading the man page a few more times to make sure that I've at
least tried to understand the nuances of using the program, etc....

> The current version if 1.36.  Take a look at the manual page first,
> and then use it always ;)

	If I understand correctly (IIUC?), it basically creates a
tripwire-like database of files, names, etc..., and continues to
track whatever changes may be made in your configuration versus the
database it initially builds.

	When you run it again, you're given the option of taking the new
file, deleting the new file, merging the changes between them, or
leaving it for handling manually.

	In this context, it doesn't seem to buy you much of anything if
you were stupid enough to cvsup before you ran the program the first
time, right?  I mean, you need to get that tripwire-like database
built somehow, and the smartest thing to do would seem to be to do
that before updating the sources, so that you've got a chance of
catching conflicts that might be generated during that process.

	At least, that's my understanding.  Do you have any additional
advice regarding mergemaster?

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.