Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:41:59 -0800
From:      Stephen Rose <rose@netscape.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Alpha FreeBSD Mozilla machine

I noticed a message in the Alpha FreeBSD list about Briano wanting an
Alpha
FreeBSD machine for Mozilla builds.  I'm the Compaq (formerly Digital)
manager for porting work on site at Netscape.  It also happens that I've
run FreeBSD for four years at home.  Since I can break loose an Alpha,
I've offered it to Brian, which he accepted.  However, trying to set it
up for him seems to involve some problems.  I've installed the Feb. 6
snapshot.  Since it doesn't have XFree86, I've been trying to track down
how to build that.  I've discovered the patches that seem to be
necessary,
but these need some gcc patches that seem to be out of sync with the gcc
that's in the snap.  It seems to be looking for a freebsd-elf.h include
file that doesn't exist.  My goal is to set this machine up for Brian so
that he can run a Mozilla tinderbox on it.  To do this, I'll need X,
GTK,
and whatever else it depends on.  Since none of us have huge amounts of
time to try all the combinations here, could you recommend the right
things to start with so I can accomplish this quickly?  I could start
with a different snap if that's appropriate.  Thanks.

Steve Rose