Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 13:25:40 +0100
From:      roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        chat@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Who needs Perl? (Was: cvs commit: src/share/doc/handbook ...)

According to Greg Lehey:
> Looks like you're solving the wrong problem here.  How about faster
> fork and execve?  Then you don't need to learn another YACL.

When the equivalent of a few lines of Perl is several sed/awk/cut in shell
(commonplace), even with a faster fork/exec, Perl will still be faster.

If anything, you'll fork/exec Perl faster :-)

For many tasks over 20 lines of shell script, Perl will be faster. There
are some things I'd consider difficult with sh/awk/sed that are almost
trivial with Perl. C wil be faster but unless you don't know Perl at all,
you'll end up writing it faster in Perl...

Of course Real Programmers(TM) use Fortran. :-)
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
  FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #28: Sun Nov 10 13:37:41 MET 1996