Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 00:45:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@nike.efn.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sio problems with 2.2-960801-SNAP

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >> Aug  8 11:52:22 plato /kernel.2.2: stray irq 4
> >> Aug  8 11:52:41 plato last message repeated 3 times
> >> Aug  8 11:53:55 plato /kernel.2.2: stray irq 4
> >> Aug  8 11:53:55 plato /kernel.2.2: too many stray irq 4's; not logging any more
> >> Aug  8 12:15:41 plato /kernel.2.2: stray irq 3
>
> >Basically, there's something screwed with your interrupt
> >configuration.  Stray irq's are not supposed to happen for a
> >configured driver, they are generated by catch-all code inside
> >the ISA bus controller driver, thus a strong indication that
> >your IRQs never reach the sio driver.
>
> The catch-all code delivers stray IRQs to IRQ7 (and maybe to
> IRQ15).  `stray irq 4' simply means that an IRQ4 occurred
> but no driver is attached to IRQ4.  I don't know how this can
> happen.  If there is no driver attached to an IRQ, then that
> IRQ is masked, except for the catch-all IRQ7.

so...  if I get a Stray irq 7 it could be from another device?  also... is
a simple fix to put something on irq7?  or just let them happen?  thanks
for the info.. TTYL..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)