Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 1996 00:06:49 -0500
From:      Charles Green <chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX Specification

Chuck Robey stands accused of saying:
}
} I wasn't being fascetious.  You define what you actually mean by your
} reference to SINGLE UNIX SPECIFICATION, then you can get an answer.

	Actually that was a cut and paste off of
http://www.xopen.co.uk/public/tech/unix/overview.htm
The technical specification for UNIX (as they refer to it :-)

}									I'm
} horrible at names, but I think I've seen yours before; I wasn't sure, so

	Yeah I've been hanging around and throwing my two cents worth every
once and awhile.

} I gave you an answer I would give to an absolute newbie.  You know as
} well as I there isn't any one true unix yet.  If this wasn't flamebait,
} and you still want an answer, be more specific and you might get one.

	The truth is, I was fishing to see what kind of answer I would
get. How much and what kind of opinions such a tearse question might
generate.

}
} My personal gripe is actually the lack of the SINGLE UNIX SPECIFICATION.
} It's generally conceded that this lack is unixland's biggest failing.
}
	X/Open seem to think they have one. But again I'm not too familiar
with the politics involved. But I would like to see FreeBSD branded with
the official UNIX name. Rather that UN*X-like...

} BTW, this belongs in FreeBSD-chat, not questions.  I changed the CC: list
} to reflect that.

	Duely noted...I agree (20-20 hindsight :-)
}
}-- End of excerpt from Chuck Robey

--
Charles Green, PRC Inc.			             UN*X System Administration
22 Powell Ave. Apt. B 		   	                  UN*X Security   &