Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 01:41:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Michael Searle <searle@longacre.demon.co.uk>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD boot from a 18 GB SCSI harddisk ?

On Wed 30 Dec, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 ANDREAS.KLEMM.AK@bayer-ag.de wrote:
>

> > Hi !
> >
> > If I*%d plan to get a PII 450 MHz system with
> > an ASUS P2B-S ( or LS) board which contains an
> > AIC 7890 chip on board, could I install FreeBSD on
> > it and would the system run without trouble (could I access
> > all 18 GB) ???

I don't know about using large drives, but I'm using
an Asus P2B-S and it works fine (using CAM.)

> > BTW, I just heard this board has 2 SCSI connectors (one 50 and one 68).
> > Does this system have one or two SCSI channels ?
> > Is it then possible, to install an Ultra 2 Wide SCSI Harddisk like the Seagate
> > Cheetah or Barracuda on the wide connector and normal Narrow SCSI
> > Devices like CD-Rom and Tape on the other connector ???
>
> You might want to search old scsi or hardware lists here, Andreas.  I
> remember somebody in the last 2 months having some bad comments about
> reliability of those 18 GB disks.  Simultaneously, I saw a good number
> of those disks start to show up discounted.  Take care.
>

> > So to say, can I mix 20 MHZ with 80 MHz SCSI devices ???

There is 1 U2W SCSI channel, with the narrow SCSI channel attached to the
U2W channel via the 3860 controller rather than being used directly. Not
quite 2 channels, but it does let you use slow devices that hog the SCSI
bus without having much effect on the speed of fast devices.

--
csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk