Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 14:20:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   I18N

Hi!

I'm using FreeBSD 2.1.0R.  I'd like to make a whole Hungarian locale.
I've made some type of keyboard descriptor file, generate 3 console
font files.  Now, I need to make the two more difficult part:
collating sequences, and LC_TIME file.

So I need some information, not found in the manual.

LC_COLLATE:
a) what is it good for, the charmap and substitute statements?
(These are in the manuals ``charmap'' section.)
c) the main is the order list:
if I understand well, I have to list all of the characters of this code table.
  i) Is it true?  What will be, if I doesn't write all of the characters?
  ii) the list order is the sorting order of the characters?
  iii) what does the ( .. ) form and the { .. } form mean?
  (from the manual, they are the same)
d) I think, I've made a (maybe incorrect) collate file, generate the LC_COLLATE
in /usr/share/locale/hu_HU.CP852 ; exported the LC_COLLATE variable ; and made a
little ``sort'' program, which gets two string, and compare with strcoll.  But
it sort by the ascii order.  ???  What do I need to make, not made before?
(I've written an email to Alex Tatmanjants <alex@elvisti.kiev.ua> - as the
originator of the colldef program, but didn't get anything - yet.)

LC_TIME:
a) is there any manual page about the format of this file?
(I've got it from James Raynard, who get it from -current, but (as he says)
doesn't know too much about internationalisation.)
b) how long have to be one record?
c) can I use it in 2.1R?  I've made the file, exported the LC_TIME variable, but
the date command has the same output, as before.  Do I have to make something
else?

And another question: Raynard said something about a command, I think:
timeset, but didn't find any information about it.  Do you know something
about it?

Thanks, Gabor

PS: and what about 2.1.5?  Are there any new functions, files?
--
	Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>

Earth is the cradle of human sense, but you can't stay in the cradle forever.
						Tsiolkovsky