Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 1995 18:52:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        fcawth@squid.umd.edu (Fred Cawthorne)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.Org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Can't boot a new 2.0.5A system

> > When in doubt freebsd looks to see what DOS did, so it you have a DOS
> > partition, it'll use those geometry figures..
> >
> > by definition then at least the BIOS and FreeBSD will match..
> >
> The new install got the wrong geometry even when I had FreeBSD 2.0 on
> the entire disk...  Perhaps there was a problem with the stuff that
> an old fdisk created???  I don't remember if I ever installed with an NCR
> controller before.  (I used to have an Adaptec 1542CF on here...)
> So, maybe my NCR scsi bios is messing things up???
> Are you guys sure that the user setting of the geometry thing (i.e. G in
> the fdisk screen) is working properly??

BIG CAUTION.  The NCR controller does not always use the 32 sector 64 head
translation that the adaptec does.  I have found that the NCR is using
34 head 62 sector geometries on the 1 G drives I am using and not sure on
the 535MB since I have not installed DOS on one of them to see.

Be very carefull when trying to move from one controller to another,
translation schemes vary between manufactures!