Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 18:04:52 -0700
From:      Joey Garcia <gummibear@we.mediaone.net>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI and/or BIOS problems on Asus and FIC motherboards

Hey all!  I got some weird Motherboard-PCI-BIOS problems here that maybe
you can help figure out.

Okay, so I got two motherboards that are doing similar wierd stuff.  One
machine (the Win98 mamchine) has an Asus P5A mainboard and the other
machine (the FreeBSD machine) has a FIC 2013+ mainboard.  Both of them are
using Award BIOS.

Okay, it started when I put a quirky network card into the FreeBSD machine
(I didn't know it was quirky then, but I had my suspicsions).  Keep in mind
that the FreeBSD machine is on the FIC motherboard.  I booted it up and
FreeBSD found the card just fine.  It's a SimpleNet RealTek 8029 chipset
based adapter.  According to FreeBSD 3.2 it was detected and should be
working just fine.

Now, I've setup network cards many times in the past with FreeBSD and I've
really never had a problem.  This time, I tried to ping out to another
machine and I got nothing.  It pretty much hung there.  Trying to do a
'nestat -r' did the same thing.  I looked at the lights on my handy-dandy
cable modem and there seemed to have been no outgoing traffic from the
FreeBSD box.  So I moved it to another PCI slot, and I got the same problem.

Weird.  I thought.  I know this machine worked fine because I had another
one of those cards previously installed.  I had taken it out because it was
a loaner from the Win98 machine.  (Now now, I don't think that Win98 broke
the FIC -- and I'll tell ya why).  I even tried that original card (the one
from the Win98 machine) and it still didn't work.  But when I put that card
back into the Asus machine (Win98 machine), the Asus aquired the same
problem on the PCI bus.  Although, the ISA bus seemed to work okay.

After many hours of frustration, I had a friend look at it.  He was stumped
too.  After screwing around with different setting on the BIOS, he was able
to get the card communicating with the PCI bus it seems.  Although, he's
not quite sure what actually got it working.  Another thing is that if I
try to add another PCI card, it dies again.  Both Win98 and FreeBSD are
able to detect the card and install drivers for them, but the card just
doesn't work.

I tried re-adding (because it was removed in order to try to fix the
problem) a bt848 video capture card back into the Asus machine, but it also
did not work and neither did the PCI RealTek network card.  Once I took out
the video grabber, the PCI network card started to work again.  Weird!  It
was all working just fine the day before.  Now I'm kicking myself in the
ass for trying to install that cheap network card.  I should have bought an
Intel. :(  *sigh*

My questions are: Why would this happen to two different motherbaords?
What kind of problem would cause this to happen, and what in the BIOS
actually fixed it.

I figured that maybe someone may have had this happen to them and know how
exactly to fix it, and I give thanks for any help you might have.

Joey "Dazed and Confused" Garcia

PS My friend that had gotten the two machines to start working again made
the assumption that it had to do with ESCD, although I have no clue to what
that is and how to set it in the BIOS.  I sometimes see it at bootup though.