Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:52:41 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        dhaneshk k <dhaneshkk@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a second disk to increase the space for /var on first dislk    :  4  questions

dhaneshk k wrote:

>  people :      I am facing a  issue , in my FreeBSD server box   the   /var  (85 %  now)  directory is going to full , no space left in this  disk anymore .
>
> But I have another disk in my box  which is of 140 GB fresh disk , this I have to add so I gone through
> the FreeBSD hand book of adding a new disk .
>

>   According to docs  I  sliced and partitioned the second disk ,
>
>  one doubt  :  here I created  10GB  bsd partition  in the second disk  ,
>
> I have to assign o assign this  for /var (in my first  disk  /var is going to full)
>

> Q1   )      so in /etc/fstab , the mount point what I have to specify  ?
>
>  /var itself or  I need to create a directory  (mkdir   /myspace )
>
>  and add it as the mount point in /etc/fstab  ?    like this
>

>     /dev/da1s1e    /myspace       ufs      rw      2     2
>

> OR
>
>       /dev/da1s1e      /var       ufs      rw     2    2
>

> which one is correct  ?
>

> and after this editing of  /etc/fstab   and restarting of the machine .
>

> Q 2  )   my  serverbox  how it will continue to use the newly added space ? for this I have to do any thing
>

> some one told me that I have to copy all the contents of the /var  of first disk to this newly added  space
>
> is it right ?
>
> how to do that
>

> Q3 )    dd    /dev/da0s1d   /dev/da1s1/e      right ?  (to copy the content from   /var (/dev/da0s1d)   of  the first disk  to   the newly added space   for var   on the second disk    (/dev/da1s1e )
>

> Q4 )  Is it needed to install all the applications which already installed in the /var of the first disk to the  newly
>
> added space on the second disk?
>

> please give your tips and advice to  achieve   what I am trying to do.  Many of you may have done this
>
> before please help with your comments
>

> Thanks in advance for all of you
> Dhanesh

You will have to do something like the following:

- Mount the new partition to a temporary mount point (like /mnt) i.e.:

mount /dev/da1s1e   /mnt

- Copy all the contents from /var to /mnt. Since /var is in use in a
running system, the results maybe less than optimal. I suggest you
switch to single user mode for doing this:

shutdown now

Use something like the following to transfer the files and permissions:

tar cfC - /var . | tar xpfC - /mnt

(thank you M.W. Lucas!)

Now, unmount /var and /mnt and mount your new var:

umount   /var   /mnt
mount -o rw /dev/da1s1e  /var

Edit /etc/fstab and update it for the new disk:

 /dev/da1s1e      /var       ufs      rw     2    2

either exit to multi user mode or reboot. Of course, check that the
files were actually copied to their right places first!