Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 08:41:17 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-hackers)
Subject:   Re: File System on a tape

> We could sure use something like this.  Some kind of program would be needed
> to boot the tape, though. A modified FreeBSD program loader that would load
> from tape... Could something like this be done under dos for recovery and
> installation?

While it's an interesting novelty, how is this better than
booting/loading something off a floppy?  Pretty much everyone will
have a floppy on their system (or perhaps a CDROM drive), but how many
have a tape drive?

I think that a floppy disk bootstrap for a "full-feature" read-only
CDROM filesystem would be considerably more useful.

Though not quite as good a hack, I'll grant you.

louie