Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 08:45:26 PDT
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, novakow@ee.ualberta.ca, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for NTFS?

> > > I was wondering if there is support for Windows NT filesystem?  If not,
> > > is there any work being done on it?  Thank you..
> >
> > Nope, probably on both counts.
>
> Some experimental work on NTFS has taken place.  The Linux code was
> ported, but it's only read-only (mostly because the Linux FS
> layering does not lend itself to clean transaction logging).
>
> Nothing has been released, and nothing is currently planned to be
> released.

Readonly is very, very useful for foreign file systems...

1) bugs don't effect the other system
2) readcapability is far better than no capability.

I'm having the same problem with linux reading freebsd partitions...
I can always use do a a common exchange format (or nfs).

--
marty
leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com