Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 01:44:36 +1000 (EST)
From:      Richard Lyon <rlyon@ozemail.com.au>
To:        "M.C Wong" <wongm@lespoir.apana.org.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Routing protocol simulator ?

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, M.C Wong wrote:

> Hi,
>    I wonder if there is any simulation tool for IP based routing protocol
> ? Ideally, it will allow user to specify a number of interconnected
> routers and route table in the forms of static route entries that is
> read during initialization. It will also be able to simulate the
> capability of learning new routes, propogating routing table info to peer
> routers. Also, provides an interface to define and inject a packet from
> a network/router to a destination and when the packet reaches the
> defined routers, it highlight which routing entry is taking effect in
> forwarding the packet etc ...
>
>    Basically, what I'm after is a tool that can help simulating a
> complex routing environemnt ...
>
>    Am I asking too much ?

And you will want to estimate delays under heavy loading, generate a
number statistics, reports, graphs, etc, etc , etc.

The usual approach is to build up a model and use a disrete event
simulator. OPNET is about the best one around for simulating networks. It
costs at least $A30,000 and requires a DEC ALPHA or SPARC. Most Australian
universities use OPNET for researching the type of problem you have
mentioned. There may be an NT version real soon. OPNET contains a good
selection of components. For exact definition of the routers you would
need to do a fair bit of coding in PROTO-C.

If you were real keen, it would be possible to use one of the discrete
event simulation C libraries, but it would be a big mega effort compared
to using something like OPNET.

I have been running OPNET at swinburne university. It is possible to
telnet in via the internet, and use my FSB x server to
remotely run OPNET. This is slow, but it works and I can do everyting from
my desk here at home.

It may pay to ask the engineering dept or comp sci dept of your local
university if they use OPNET and how you can get access.

Hey, if you find a good discrete event simulator for FreeBSD let me know.
I have been doing a lot of simulation work for mobile data networks. I
have tried a number of different tools but always come back to OPNET.

Regards ...