Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:37:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, deeptech71@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: what can i do with a 486?

deeptech71@gmail.com wrote:
 > The HDD is 200MB, not 500MB.

That's rather small.  Probably too small for a standard
installation, but with a little manual tuning you should
certainly be able to install FreeBSD on it.  I've
installed FreeBSD on 32 MB flash cards, and with a little
more effort you can even install it on smaller systems.

 > Couldn't enter the BIOS setup because of a password. Then I
 > used the board's clear CMOS jumper. Now I can't get into the
 > BIOS setup, no matter what I press!

That doesn't sound good.  Maybe the BIOS is broken
somehow.

 > I've installed FreeBSD on a gaming PC to that 200MB drive,
 > then put it in the 486 comp. Result: "Missing operating
 > system" error.

Are you sure that the installation finished successfully?
As I mentioned above, I think 200 MB isn't sufficient for
a standard installation.

 > The router thing is out of the question then. So, any suggestions? Or,
 > anything I can DO with this thing?

You could frame it and nail it to the wall.

Best regards
   Oliver