Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 23:06:45 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use/Utilize

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> > The GPL "uses" (8-)) the word in its least common application,
> > where the word "utilize" would serve better, and therfore
> > attempts to muddy the waters regarding derivitive works
> > (utilizing the code) vs. operation of the application (using
> > the code).
>
> Excuse me.  It looks like a transitive verb in both of these phrases,
> to me, at least; and I find it quite legitimate to write that
> derivative works "use" the code while operation of the application
> "utilizes" the code.
>
> In fact, if I follow Merriam-Webster's suggestions, I'd prefer to
> "use" the code in a run-of-the-mill derivative work (embedding a GPL'd
> FFT routine in a program of my own) but "utilize" the code in a novel
> application (utilize an FFT to do fast multiplications of large
> integers).

I prefer OED.

However...

Let's say everything you say is correct.  Do you agree that
there is confusion in the GPL about whether or not derivative
works constitute "use" or "utilization" of the code?

I think there is, and I think this confusion is intentional.

Surely, you must agree that the use of the word "free" is a
redefinition, right?

-- Terry