Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 08:03:15 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        coredump@nervosa.com (invalid opcode), narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, jehamby@lightside.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Win32 (was:Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...)

> > On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Narvi wrote:
> > > Talking about real good GUIs... How do you define one? Windows certainly
> > > 	Sander
> >
> > NeXTStep.
> > Why is it that all good ideas are never liked by the stupid human public.
>
> Because of the lame proprietary technology you have to license to
> implement the idea (Display PostScript) and the lame idea of making
> your computer run like a snail whenever you print by moving the
> processing (PostScript) from the printer to the computer because
> it's too expensive to implement any other way?

You don't have to run the printer using the DPS interpreter on the
NeXTSTEP platform.  If you did, you got a printer that ran faster than
most of the printers you could buy in that day.  That is, you had a
68030 rendering, rather than the usual 68000 you'd find in the
canonical Apple Laserwriter at the time.  What you got at the time was
a 400 dpi (hi res!) printer that ran faster than most.  Of course,
like diskless workstations, that was an economical optimization that
doesn't make sense these days.

I actually used an external NEC LC890 PostScript printer on my
NextStation at home.

> The GUI was cool, the "Objective C" was "Objectionable" (we'll just
> define this *new* language so we don't have to learn C++ and because
> we thing we can jack GCC into compiling it without giving the sources
> out so it can be ported to other platforms).  The browser was cool,
> the "dock" was OK (I guess; it was pretty limited in the number of
> apps it could contain), and the login screen was cool.

I've done non-trivial application development in Objective-C, and I've
got some friends who've done large Objective-C and C++ development
work, and we all agreed that we prefer Objective-C.  Too many bells
and whistles in C++, plus the lack of dynamic binding.  Of course,
this is a flamefest in it's own right.

The initial implementation of Objective C (I think in the 0.8 release)
was still a preprocessor based on the StepStone complier.  Things were
much improved after GCC became a native compiler.

> The initial lack of color really sucked.  The use of mixed text and
> binary databases for things sucked.  The inability to use a remote
> display sucked.  The "Mach domain" sockets sucked.  The need to
> load apps from a server and run them locally instead of running on
> an application server sucked.  The lack of a floppy drive sucked.
> The speed of the optical sucked.

Yup, I have to agree with you on all accounts here.  They lamed out on
the OS support for the platform, and there was no reason all this
stuff couldn't be better.  I still lament the lack of a NextStep
interface each and everytime I sit down in front of an (ugh!) X
display with the lame-o excuse of a "GUI design".

> The black cube was cool.  The Motorolla DSP was cool.  More than one
> button on the mouse was cool (three would have been better).  "Write Now"
> was cool. The paint program was cool.

If you saw the inside of WriteNow, you'd probably change your tune..

> The keyboard connector was cheap.  The missing key in the "T" bar keys
> was cheap.  The power button was annoying (in combination, it made it
> impossible to emulate a VT220 without using composition keys).

> I can't see why developers didn't flock to it.  8-).

It was actually one of the most inexpensive UNIX platforms you could
buy at the time that didn't really suck or was a System V varient (or
was both!)

Louis Mamakos