Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 1995 21:04:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD hackerlist <FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com>
Subject:   want to port Jazz-1.0

Hi folks;

	After my finals are finished next thursday, i plan on getting to
work on porting Jazz-1.0 to 2.0.5. I remember jkh mentioning that it
would be nice to get this ported, but i never heard of any
volunteers...did anybody volunteer?

	Jazz is a simple midi composition tool that uses Xview via the
wxwin toolkit. It also has a driver that makes use of the intelligent
mode of the "true mpu-401" cards, as opposed to the uart mode supported
by most sound cards.

	I actually had come very close to compiling the user
interface but i got some c++ errors that meant nothing to me, since i had
not taken a c++ class yet ( one of those finals next week :-) ).

	So, i expect that the user interface will be relatively
straightforward.

	But it is not the tricky part :-(

	Since i was avoiding studying for my finals, i grabbed the dist
and brought it home just now, and reaquainted myself with the source
code. I finally realized that the manner in which the author had gained
all this marvelous added functionality was by writing ... ... . a
shrubbery! neet neet! JUST KIDDING! ack um.. a driver! ohhhh no!

	He claims that voxware 2.0 lacks all the groovy stuff his code
needed, and i imagine 3.0 probably had other fish to fry, and probably
doesn't do much better.

	It took a long time for me to get up the nerve to make my own
kernel, but once i did, i was pretty happy about it, and think nothing of
doing it, other then the fact that it takes a while! So, while i
certainly think that writing drivers is vastly more difficult then
configging a kernel, one needs to start somewhere, and something u are
interested in is as good a place to start as any.

	So my plan is to just take his code and munge the includes to get
it to look like something that belongs in a freebsd kernel.

	Somehow, that innocuous looking statement seems to abstract a
sh*tload of work :-).

	So, is there a driver i should look at as a place to start? did
anybody solve this already?

 John Utz	spaz@stein.u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life