Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 11:16:39 -0500
From:      Matt Rosenberg <matt@server.wulaw.wustl.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.5 and AHA-2742W

  I'm trying to upgrade a 2.1.0 system to 2.1.5 but when I boot from the
install boot floppy I get a kernel panic everytime.  The install kernel
finds the Adaptec AHA-2742W SCSI card correctly with the correct IRQ and
address and all of the correct SCSI devices.  It then continues to probe
for the other devices.  Immediately after finishing the probing the
kernel panics:
  panic: ahc0: brkadrint, Illegal Host Access at seqaddr=0x0

Two things I did notice.  In the kernel I'm using in 2.1.0 the adapter is
device ahc1 and not ahc0 (I don't know why that would make a difference).
The other thing is that ahc1 is listed in the device list after booting
with the -c option on the old kernel.  There is no ahc device at all in
the device list when booting with the -c option on the install disk.

If all else fails, is there a way to download the source for 2.1.5 compile
and install a 2.1.5 kernel and then go back and install the new lib files?
  --Matt Rosenberg
    matt@www.wulaw.wustl.edu