Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 09:08:40 -0700
From:      Bill Trost <trost@cloud.rain.com>
To:        jamin@eecs.umich.edu
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error message

Sugih Jamin writes:
    I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE with PAO on my Sony Vaio 505EX.

You're using a *Vaio*?  I didn't think X would work on those!?

      wd0: interrupt timeout:
    followed by:
      wd0: status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 0
    or
      wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0
    or
      wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>

    It sounds like the disk is spinning down but is immediately
    woken up again by the OS trying to write something.

That is somewhat typical behaviour.  If you have your disk timeout set
to 5 minutes in the BIOS, and cron running atrun every 5 minutes,
you could easily be seeing behavior like that.  Atrun is not the only reason
your disk might be getting hit all the time.

You might nuke atrun (or at least make it less frequent) and/or change the
disk spin-down interval.