Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 10:02:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        dgy@rtd.com, FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-hackers)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-hackers)
Subject:   Re: File System on a tape

> > While it's an interesting novelty, how is this better than
> > booting/loading something off a floppy?  Pretty much everyone will
>
> Surely you jest?  Have you ever tried to *load* FBSD off of floppies?
> With a file system on tape, you can boot and then just mount the tape
> and 'cp /tape/what/ever/you/want /wherever/you/want/it'.  With floppies,
> you'd have to have explicitly prepared individual little filesystems
> to be able to recover anything at whill.  Or, play with all the
> little furrballs, etc.
>
> > have a floppy on their system (or perhaps a CDROM drive), but how many
> > have a tape drive?

Folks, it also is kind of nice for those folks who have access to some
kind of tape drive and no CDROM -- or (more common) an Unsupported
CDROM.

Imagine if the folks with wierd IDE CD's could cut a tape and install
from that before having to get hacked kernels.  I've had to make the
floppy sets at times because of not enough DOS partition space
to put the distribution.  If I could dd or tar to tape and install from tape
it would be a great ease of installation issue at times.

Also, sooner or later we're going to go multiplatform (I hope) and one
day we may need the capability.

Bill

Bill
 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter  | 17 Meredith Drive, Tinton Falls, NJ 07724,
 908-389-3592                  | pechter@shell.monmouth.com
 I'll run Win95 on my box when you pry the keyboard from my cold, dead
 hands.  FreeBSD, OS/2, CP/M, RT11, spoken here.