Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 23:42:46 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, jmb@freefall.freebsd.org, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest 2.1R panic. Hmm.

Poul-Henning Kamp stands accused of saying:

> >    Is there a general consensus that wasting one extra page for the message
> > buffer by default is desired? I know I've overrun it myself on many systems,
> > and it's very annoying when it happens.
> >    If so, I'll make the change to an 8K buffer a standard part of FreeBSD.
>
> one page is getting to be too little.
>
> Can we make it a config parameter defaulting to 2 pages ?

It'd also be nice if you got a more meaniful panic if it overflowed 8)

I had an interrupt handler that was regularly panicking courtesy of
overflowing the message buffer; I also hit this with the FATLABEL code
verbosely logging activity prior to syslog starting.