Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 10:02:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        louie@TransSys.COM (Louis A. Mamakos)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-hackers)
Subject:   Re: File System on a tape

> > We could sure use something like this.  Some kind of program would be needed
> > to boot the tape, though. A modified FreeBSD program loader that would load
> > from tape... Could something like this be done under dos for recovery and
> > installation?
>
> While it's an interesting novelty, how is this better than
> booting/loading something off a floppy?  Pretty much everyone will
> have a floppy on their system (or perhaps a CDROM drive), but how many
> have a tape drive?
>
> I think that a floppy disk bootstrap for a "full-feature" read-only
> CDROM filesystem would be considerably more useful.
>
> Though not quite as good a hack, I'll grant you.
>
> louie

agreed... but there's so many CDROMS (IDE) giving us problems this makes
some sense.

Bill
 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter  | 17 Meredith Drive, Tinton Falls, NJ 07724,
 908-389-3592                  | pechter@shell.monmouth.com
 I'll run Win95 on my box when you pry the keyboard from my cold, dead
 hands.  FreeBSD, OS/2, CP/M, RT11, spoken here.