Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2006 07:39:51 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Only OpenSource <onlyopensource@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to panic FreeBSD

Only OpenSource wrote:
> I am trying to learn kernel debugging and one of the approaches I have
> come up with is to introduce situations in the sys code by which the compiled
> kernel is buggy and will panic.

Most people introducing bugs into the kernel do so by accident, rather than
deliberately.  Most people trying to debug the kernel use optional printf or
kernel-logging statements (see PDEBUG, CF_DEBUG, VLOG, etc) controlled by
things like DEBUG, WITNESS, INVARIANTS, etc.

> My query is what are the typical bugs that I can introduce in say by
> which the kernel would panic.

If you want to panic the kernel, just call panic("some reason") directly.

--
-Chuck