Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 1998 19:43:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Netcards

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, dennis wrote:

> Just look in raw_usrreq(). the default case is a panic.

  Oh well, your X server could screw up and crash your system too (using
priviledged i/o), except you could lose data too because chances are it
will be a hard lock and filesystems will not be unmounted.

> >  Another tangent.  Panics have little to do with application errors that
> >were described in the original message.  In fact there was no mention of
> >panics at all.
>
> You were talking about inappropriate handling of exception conditions,
> which seems
> to be a parallel.

  Perhaps.  Applications should be taking care of their own exception
handling.  Calling atoi with a NULL is silly, and would only come from a
really broken application.  The complaint was that the application
ABORTed.  On second thought, that is probably much better than an error
message, as the abort will give you a core which you can use to fix the
application.  I think that is good idea.

> db

Tom