Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 09:16:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Sendmail 8.7.5 issues (the sendmail in FreeBSD 2.1.5.)

Well -  I've completed the upgrade of my mail server to 2.1.5.

What did I discover?  There's no way to tell sendmail to not use
DNS (it will be fixed in a "future" version.)

So, after setting up DNS, I found out it still didn't work the
way I expected.  I wanted items whose name was not resolved to
go to the smart-host; but apparently, no matter what you do;
in 8.7.5, (rule 3?) if it can't find the name it queues it for
later...

So, even though my name server doesn't know about "test@foo.bar",
after the timeout, sendmail simply dropped the mail in the mailq.

The only option is to recompile sendmail with the option:

	-DNAMED_BIND=0

to disable using DNS...

(If you see this mail; then I was successfull in setting this up...)

Just an F.Y.I - perhaps it should go somewhere in the handbook
until a newer version of sendmail is put into FreeBSD...

	- Dave Rivers -