Date:      	Thu, 18 Jul 96 10:34:49 PDT
From:      byron@netapp.com (Byron Rakitzis)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   trouble installing freebsd 2.1 on toshiba laptop

Hi.

I have a Toshiba 415CS laptop, and I am trying to bring up freebsd. The
laptop has a built-in 4x CDROM, which I assume is ATAPI. I also have a
3COM 3c589 PCMCIA card and am prepared to do a network installation.

When I boot either boot.flp or atapi.flp, freebsd finds no cdrom, and
no network card!

The really frustrating part is that it prints something in the kernel
startup about ze0 and zp0, but it all flashes by too quickly for me to
make sense of it -- I am shoved into the fullscreen installer, and I
have lost the kernel startup lines!

I started the kernel with -c, disabled everything except the IDE bus,
serial controllers, and the zp0 driver. However, the boot still did not
find the 3c589. For laughs, I tried again disabling zp0 and enabling
ze0, since it seems to find something (although I don't know what!)
with ze0. Still nothing.

Any hints are appreciated, esp. if there is a boot flag I can pass so
that the install utility does not start straight off so that I can at
least see what is eating the zp driver.

Many thanks,

Byron Rakitzis.