Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:48:54 -0700
From:      bmah@cs.berkeley.edu (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing protocol simulator ?

Richard Lyon writes:

> Hey, if you find a good discrete event simulator for FreeBSD let me know.
> I have been doing a lot of simulation work for mobile data networks. I
> have tried a number of different tools but always come back to OPNET.

Apologies if this is getting off-topic...

For some work I'm doing to investigate the performance of different
IP-over-ATM schemes, I've developed what I think is a pretty reasonable
IP network simulator:  The Internet Simulated ATM Networking
Environment (a.k.a. INSANE).  It's a discrete event simulator done in
C++ and Tcl, it simulates the actions of various applications
(telnet/ftp/http/audio/video) over TCP/UDP/IP and various primitive
data-link layers (one of which is an approximation of an ATM stack).
Works great under FreeBSD, as well as a number of other UNIX and
UNIX-like OSs I've tried.

Eventually I would like to release this on a freely available basis.
For right now, I'm deep in thesis-writing mode, and so the release sits
on the back burner.  But if anyone is interested in a snapshot of the
code with the usual disclaimers and caveats, send me email.

The downside (for the purposes of the original question) is that it
doesn't deal with routing protocols at all (all routing is static).
But it might not be too hard to add it...

Cheers,

Bruce.