Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:02:56 +0200
From:      Karol Kwiatkowski <freebsd@orchid.homeunix.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Random Freeze

Mark Ovens wrote:

> I'm seeing the same problem on my dual Athlon box. The freezes are
> totally random AFAICT, sometimes when the machine is just idling.
>
> I've not used any CPU-specific make options but may try setting some to
> see if it makes a difference. One thing though, I only have
>
> cpu		I686_CPU
>
> set, not I486_CPU and I586_CPU as well, maybe that could be a problem?

AFAIK, that's a proper setting for Athlons. What I recommend is you
shouldn't play with make options before setting up a stable system
(sorry if that's too obvious).

> I'm running -CURRENT and the build I did on 8 April didn't have this
> problem but it started with the next build I did a couple of weeks ago.
> I've cvsup'd and rebuilt a couple of times since, the last on 25 July,
> but the problem persists.

I don't have much experience with CURRENT (and with SMP) but if you
didn't change the config files it looks like something in the code (this
is possible in CURRENT, right?). Only thing I can think of is reading
freebsd-current and searching the archives. Not much from me, sorry.

Regards,

Karol

--
Karol Kwiatkowski  <freebsd at orchid dot homeunix dot org>