Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 22:27:50 -0800
From:      Scott Gasch <scott@mail.medsp.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   natd under 4.1.1-STABLE

Hi all,

I recently upgraded from 4.0-RELEASE to 4.1.1-STABLE and discovered
that my natd no longer needs a -pptpalias flag on it.  Before the
change I used this pptpalias flag to enable my machines behind my bsd
box to use a VPN to work (one at a time):

  natd -l -u -m -s -pptpalias 10.0.0.100 -interface de0

I read a couple of things about changes in libalias that make this
pptpalias flag unneeded -- apparently the library can figure it out on
its own now(?).  So after my upgrade I simply omitted the -pptpalias
flag and was able to connect and authenticate to a VPN server without
problems using:

  natd -l -u -m -s -interface de0

But, unfortunately, my connection stopped working normally after the
initial connection.  I am able to ping the server on the other end of
the VPN connection... but not contact DNS or WINS servers across the
VPN.  In addition the connection statistics looked like I was sending
out a lot more data than I was receiving... when usually the inverse
is true.

I don't know much about GRE or MS-PPTP but I recall something about
GRE packets not having proper to addresses on them and natd needing
help to deliver them (thus the pptpalias flag).  So I tried this:

  natd -l -u -m -s -redirect_proto gre 10.0.0.100 -interface de0

...but it doesn't work either.  Can someone give me a hand getting my
behind-the-server clients connecting to a corporate (MS) VPN server
again?

Much appreciated...
Scott

--