Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 10:33:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   more general info on SIO problems in 2.1.5.

Just to let everyone know what I have eliminated...

  1) I have replaced the cables - the problem's not there.

  2) I've used two different modems (thinking the problem might be
     the Pratical Peripherals PC288LCD.)  nope - I get it *very*
     quickly with a Micrcom DeskPorte FAST.

  3) I have eliminted the specific device - I can reproduce the
     problem on either cuaa1 or cuaa0.

I'm going to pull the machine apart and make sure everything is
well connected... but other than that, it seems I'm missing something.

Let me describe the problem a little more... maybe that will help
narrow it down.

I can reproduce this easily with kermit - the particular status
of it right now (in reproduction) is (output of /bin/ps -gaxl):

  UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
    0  1647  1459  15   3  0   744  104 ttyin  I+    p0    0:00.64 kermit

kermit is connected to /dev/cuaa0 - whose tty settings are:

ponds# stty -f /dev/cuaa0 -a
speed 38400 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoke -echonl
        -echoctl -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin
        -nokerninfo -extproc
iflags: -istrip -icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon ixoff -ixany -imaxbel ignbrk
        -brkint -inpck ignpar -parmrk
oflags: -opost -onlcr -oxtabs
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl clocal -cstopb crtscts -dsrflow
        -dtrflow -mdmbuf
cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
        eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^?; intr = ^C; kill = ^U; lnext = ^V;
        min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q; status = <undef>;
        stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;

 The behaviour I get is that when large amounts of data are generated
at the other end (after dialing a remote system) - I get several
screen-fulls of output, then everything stops.. *However* from the
modem lights, I see that the modem is still receiving data... it's just
not getting to the kermit process to be written out.

 That is, it would appear that the process has going into ttywait
(for some reason) and can't get out, even though the modem itself
thinks things are just fine.

	- Ideas? -
	- Dave R. -