Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 09:18:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        dennis@kentauros.rtd.algo.com.gr (dennis)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question: Unite or Die?

> Hi to all,
> i posted a question recently, asking why to prefer FBSD over Linux.

I have moved this to -chat, this is not appropriate for our technical
forums.

>I was
> accused of
>  starting a flame war then. My real intention was to see if there was *REALLY*
>  something diffrent to look about. My conclusion is that in some fields FBSD
> is better
> (networking, stability) and in some other Linux has the lead( available
> drivers, memory
>  managment). My question is why have two OS rather than one REALLY good one?
>  Why dont programmers,hackers,develepors of both teams unite to write the
> ultimite OS?

Actually FreeBSD-current is much better in the memory management area
(the upcoming 2.2 release.)  Our 2.1.X series comes from the same time
frame (actually, I think before 1.2.X of Linux.)  There is significant
anecdotal evidence that FreeBSD handles memory loads much better than
almost any other OS (In the case of Linux, much better.)  (2.1.X had
a very inefficient malloc in userland, and now we have a very nice,
FreeBSD written one.)  Under light loading conditions, each OS is roughly
equivalent.  There is a difference in philosophy between the OSes (even
the responsibility of development in the FreeBSD kernel (and that is
what Linux really is) is spread amongst more people.)  It isn't commonly
understood, but is true.  FreeBSD doesn't have a single authoritarian leader,
but frankly the Linux development is authoritarian.

>  Why the two teams mock at each other? Dont they see the danger in front of
> them?

There are two philosophies of freedom -- the pre-ordained, I know what
is best for the world notion of the GPL.  There is the
freer, you can do with the code what you want of the BSDL.  I prefer
a license that doesn't encumber as much as GPL.  GPL is too heavy handed
and too much against freedom of redistribution (with the
double-speak that they are for "freedom" -- of course meaning something
entirely different.)   In my mind, GPL is more like shareware without
having to pay money for it -- there are still too many strings attached.

>  Windows NT has only one goal: to kill UNIX and every flavour of it!
>  Distribute your knowledge, before you become a close team of hackers
> against the
>  rest of the NT driven world!

WinNT has the marketing might of Microsoft behind it.  Performance isn't
where NT shines.  U**X is good where you do need the performance, and
your management doesn't come from the same training (lobotomy) programs
as Dilbert's manager.  Each company/individual can decide to buy junk
or something inferior if they want.  We cannot control that.

I really don't think that a bunch of radical children will turn the tides
of computing (other than they will be looked at with disdain.)  Evaluating
each problem, and applying the best solution and tools to the problem is the
best way to handle things.  Frankly, the GPL breaks most run-time software
for me and much of the software industry.  For development tools, GPL is
okay for me, because I don't invest my time in them and redistribute them.
As a pure, simple end user, or a big FTP redistribution site, GPLed code
is okay.  As a manufacturer and redistributor, GPL can cause more problems
than the software is worth.

IMO, the best of all worlds would be if GPLed runtime code would just go away,
with GPLed and free non-runtime code comprising the rest of the system.  IMO,
GPLed runtime code is not much better than Microsoft NT.  This would help small,
conservative, responsible (non-development tool) software vendors alot.  Of
course, the agenda behind GPL implies that software (and the trade-secrets)
should be exposed.  I don't think so!!!  Such trade-secrets are sometimes
expensive to create, and GPL encumbered code isn't a place where I want my
trade-secrets placed.

John