Date:      Mon, 29 May 1995 11:11:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Shady <rls@kilroy.id.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems with 2.0 SNAP

I've installed the latest SNAP release of FreeBSD 2.0, and most everything
seems to be going okay so far.  I am really excited about the new features
and speed improvements that have been made.  The only problem I seem to
be having since upgrading from FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 is this...

I have a single process, a Mud game, that runs under the uid of "mud",
gid of "games".  It seems to work okay, until the process eats up about
14MB of RAM, at which point it Seg-Faults.  Under 1.1.5.1 it worked
flawlessly.  It seems to do much better if I run it as root, but it still
seems to seg-fault at some point.  I'm not sure exactly, but I'm guessing
it may have something to do with a limit on the amount of ram per process,
or the number of files per process.  If anybody has any idea what may be
causing this, please respond to this message.

Is there any way to tell how many files a process has open?

Have these limits changed since 1.1.5.1?

I am running under TCSH 6.04, if that makes a difference.

Is there some way of increasing these limits for a specific user?

This machine pretty much does nothing else currently but run this game.

486/DX2-80 AMD w/32 MB
540MB IDE Disk
SMC Elite Ultra Ethernet
FreeBSD 2.0