Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 14:52:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        ahd@kew.com
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: excessive verbosity

Quoth Drew Derbyshire on Sun, 24 August:
:
: Any program can do that with logger, or write a (long) one-line C
: program to call syslog directly.  So I must disagree as it to being any
: real hole.

It's a matter of what you put in syslog.conf.  User code can't
generate LOG_KERN messages.  I can configure syslog so that it is
a security problem, or I can configure syslog so that it is not
a security problem.  But I need to modify the kernel to fix my
original complaint.