Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 08:16:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        CombsSF@Salem.GE.COM
Cc:        dgy@rtd.com, pechter@shell.monmouth.com, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: File System on a tape

It seems that Stephen F. Combs said:

> The Pechter(s) are speaking of having a BOOTABLE Tape system.  I'd Love to

I don't see that mentioned in any of the messages thus far -- including
the one you cc'ed below.  I don't think anyone is asking for the
ability to type "mt0" at the FBSD boot prompt (though it *would*
be nice!)  Rather, I think a single boot floppy that brings in
the required device drivers and kernel could be used with a tape
based filesystem:
	mount /dev/mt0 /mnt
	chroot /mnt
	twiddle with bare essentials of fsck'ing disk, etc.
	^D (out of /mnt)
	tar cf - /mnt | tar xf - /disk

> have one!  While CDROMs are great, there are times when I don't have a
> CDROM system available and 'twould be nice to be able to boot from tape
> and do a 'fbsdinstall' (ala, suninstall)  I've got fbsd systems in Puerto
> Rico, Mebane, NC, Ft. Wayne, IN and Shanghi, China (as well as here!)
> I've got QIC-250 tape drives on All of them, but a CDROM on none!:-< (I'm
> trying to get them all upgraded to DDS-2 4mm DAT's).

Being able to support *all* of the many tape devices in the bootstrap
loader I think would be ridiculous.  Rather, getting a kernel up
and running with a floppy and letting that kernel carry the device
drivers (including a block tape device) is the WIN.

--don