Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:58:26 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Starting out in iSCSI - recovery questions / options from target vanishing...

Hi,

I've been looking at setting up iSCSI on my home network. I have a windows
machine, which I've installed iSCSI target software on, and set it up.

I'm using FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE - and I've setup iSCSI as an initiator on that.

At the end of the day, I get the following logged when I've finished
setting it up:

"
Jan 12 20:25:30 test kernel: da0 at iscsi0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
Jan 12 20:25:30 test kernel: da0: <CCDISK iSCSI Cake > Fixed Direct Access
SCSI-4 device
Jan 12 20:26:21 test kernel: GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider da0s1 is
ufsid/4b4cdaed5db746bf.
"

I can label, partition, format and mount da0 - and everything works fine,
which looks pretty successful.

Until I 'break the connection' - either by restarting the windows iSCSI
target, or pulling the network cable.

Whatever was in progress on da0 expectedly freezes. However, when the
connection is available again - nothing seems to re-attach, continue, or
error.

I'd guess I may be being optimistic if I expected it to re-attach, and
continue without error - but is there any way of either avoiding the freeze
(or raining in the timeout) - or forcing things to try to reconnect?

I don't mind getting errors, or trashing the iSCSI drive (it's only used
for shifting backups on to large drives on the windows machine) - but as it
is, the only way to recover is to restart the FreeBSD box.

If someone can point me in the right direction, or explain what's "meant to
happen" that'd be great,

Thanks,

-Karl