Date:      Sun, 02 Nov 1997 16:28:13 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Timothy J Kniveton <tim@CMU.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, wavelan@smith.net.au
Subject:   Re: WaveLAN tuning

> Can people share how they tune their waveLAN drivers?  I have played
> with machdep.wl_xmit_delay (in sysctl) and find that with my AMD
> K6/200MHz machine it is best at about 600-750 us.

Increase it until you don't get any interrupt timeouts.  Stop there. 8)

> However, with my point-point link (I am using two directional antennae
> over a distance), I am dropping about 8-10% of packets.  This causes
> erratic behavior, presumably because of TCP backoff.  What is the best
> way to tune this so that you get optimal performance?  Any other tips?

Have you run ptpdiag over the link to check the basic characteristics
therof?  It sounds like you're suffering from some 'real' link quality
problems that no amount of tuning can help you with.  Are there other
units in the vicinity?

mike