Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 00:28:28 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building new kernel fails?

Brad Knowles wrote:

>         If I understand correctly (IIUC?), it basically creates a
> tripwire-like database of files, names, etc..., and continues to
> track whatever changes may be made in your configuration versus the
> database it initially builds.

Err... no. At least not until the last version I saw. :-)

It just makes /etc in an alternate directory, compares it's results
to what you currently have, skip identical files and files with same
cvs tag, and ask you how to deal with each of the remaining files.

>         In this context, it doesn't seem to buy you much of anything if
> you were stupid enough to cvsup before you ran the program the first
> time, right?  I mean, you need to get that tripwire-like database

Nope. There is no database, and things are compared to what you
*have* in /etc, which is very different from what you get from
cvsup. Which is the whole point. If you /etc was identical from the
original /usr/src/etc, then you could simply always overwrite the
newer /usr/src/etc over it.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Thus, over the years my wife and I have physically diverged. While
I have zoomed toward a crusty middle-age, she has instead clung
doggedly to the sweet bloom of youth. Naturally I think this unfair.
Yet, if it was the other way around, I confess I wouldn't be happy
either."