Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 20:23:34 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, FreeBSD Hackers <Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GPS for xntpd Stratum 1 servers

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Tim Tsai wrote:

> practical nowadays [in Mississippi we easily get 8-10 satellites in clear
> view] even if you only have a clear view of the sky on one side of the
> building.  If you can extend a small pole (say 3 feet) out the window
> then it would be more than enough.  I've stuck GPS antenna mounted on a
> broom stick out of hotel windows enough times to know this works.  :-)

We wouldn't be able to get away with that here.  No one opens windows in
these skyscrapers unless it's an emergency and a crane is outside waiting
to hoist people away.

Regarding cost, it's really not the cost of the ethernet or fiber.  It's
the cost of using the building owner's approved cable laying companies
provided we can get permission to even run anything to the roof from the
15th floor.

The GBS is something that would have been cool and superb accuracy really
isn't necessary for the application, just reasonable accuracy and good
consistency.

I found out that the Cisco 7000 in that office has a very good clock, so
we'll just hit enter on the tone and go from there.

Regards,

Mike
--
michaelh@cet.co.jp                                http://www.cet.co.jp
CET Inc., Daiichi Kasuya BLDG 8F 2-5-12, Higashi Shinbashi, Minato-ku,