Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2006 13:09:11 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Bill Moran" <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Reducing the timeout on a TCP connection

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Moran" <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To: <questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 12:21 PM

> > This is why the snmp protocol uses UDP, Bill.
> >
> > You need to use something other than TCP for
> > monitoring.
>
> Well ... if I'm monitoring a server that uses TCP (PostgreSQL) I can't
> rightly establish whether or not it's successfully accepting connections
> unless I used TCP as well.

Then you absolutely don't want to change TCP timeouts because none
of the clients are going to be running modified TCP timeouts, and if
your timeout-modified system can connect, that does not tell you if
a client running normal timeouts can also connect.

> I understand where you're coming from, but I can't see how I can use
> UDP to solve my problem.

check the system for if it's there or not with udp, if it is there, then
check
for availability of the sql listener port.

Ted