Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 16:56:51 -0700
From:      "Neil C. Jensen" <njensen@salsa.habaneros.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'asami@cs.berkeley.edu'" <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Subject:   2.1.5R and ccd questions

Just finished installing 2.1.5R (went very smoothly, thanks
Team FreeBSD!) and thought I'd try disk mirroring using
ccd. I want to mirror the contents of my entire file system
so that I can reboot from one of the disk if the other fails.

I have read the documentation; ccd home page and man
pages and am still unclear on exactly what I need to do.

I have two idential SCSI drives, sd0 & sd1. Right now the OS
is installed on sd0 and I have done nothing to sd1.

Do I;

1. recompile a new kernel with 'pseudo-device ccd 4' ?

2. use dd to copy the contents of sd0 to sd1? (do I need
to use disklabel,partition first?)

3. create the /etc/ccd.conf file with CCDF_MIRROR flag?

4. now run ccdconfig, creating device ccd0?

5. is ccd0 now my device with the original filesystem installed,
except now I am mirrored?

6. by default, I think the system will boot from sd0. If sd0 fails,
how do I get the system to boot from sd1, will it automatically
check for a valid system there?

7. how do I test if ccd is working?

Thanks in advance for your help. I will compile any responses I
get for possible inclusion in the handbook.

Neil Jensen
Habanero Studios Ltd
Vancouver, Canada