Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:52:08 +0100
From:      Nicholas Wieland <nicholas_wieland@yahoo.it>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's Visual Identity: Outdated?

 - John-Mark Gurney :
> > Clearly, you have not tried to "sell" FreeBSD to a big corporation.
>
> Then we should create a website www.freebsdforcxo.com and use that.

I think it's not a bad idea at all to have a different "pure-advocacy"
website, something like advocacy.freebsd.org, Postgres has something
similar and it's quite useful.

> The problem is that the base FreeBSD.org website should remain as it
> is.  It is targeted to technical people who might not be running a GUI
> web browser and want quick access to information.

Like using accesskeys instead of a mouse ? I'm following the discussion
and the only thing I see is people complaining without knowing the
"medium" we're talking about, but "arguing" that the new web site will
be crap for some reason (usually the wrong one).

> Making it more pretty to sell, while destroying the usability for 99%
> of the audience is not a solution.

Agreed, but nobody wants to "destroy the usability", first of all
because the current website is unusable (content is badly organized,
the layout is inside the markup), second because I bet that someone here
is good at web programming/design as someone else in developing an operating
system :)
I'm redesigning the web site, I'm not using Flash or some other crap, if
the redesign performs bad on Lynx or Links I will consider it a bug that
needs a fix, while correcting everything that in my opinion needs to be
corrected on the current website.
To be honest I think that this iperconservative attitude is useless, it
would be good to have technical comments when people comes up with
something usable. I speak for me, and *I* will be pleased to discuss
every issue on my redesign.

HAND,
  ngw
--
checking for life_signs in -lKenny... no
	Oh my god, make (1) killed Kenny ! You, bastards !

nicholas_wieland-at-yahoo-dot-it