Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 11:58:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!mt.sri.com!nate
Cc:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Re: NFS and the nameserver...

> >  We need a small change to /etc/rc.
>
> And I assume you've made that change. :)
>
> >  I discovered this when I set up a primary nameserver on a machine
> > that also wanted to mount NFS mount points.
> >
> >  If you have an /etc/resolv.conf, and you are the primary name
> > server.  The
> >
> >    mount -a -t nfs
> >
> > in /etc/rc happens _before_ named is started.  This means that
> > the mounts fail (timing out eventually).
> >
> >  I think it would be prudent to move the
> >
> >   mount -a -t -nfs
> >
> > command until after all the networking deamons have begun, but
> > particularly after named has started.
>
> Except that some of the networking daemons live in /usr, which must
> mounted on many boxes which boot diskless and/or mount /usr alone.
>
> There is no 'perfect' solution to where the NFS mount commands go, and
> it was determined that the current position is the 'best' for most
> people.  If it doesn't work for your installation, move it (which you've
> done already).
>

> Nate

 Well - yes, err..., umm... I made that change.

 Seems like a simple 'if' is appropriate here.  You could
set up a sysconfig parm, i.e. "diskless"  and do the NFS
mounts early if this is a diskless machine.

   if [ ! X"$diskless" = X"NO" ]
   then
     mount -a -t nfs
     NFS_mounted=yes
   fi

	after named, etc...

   if [ ! "NFS_mounted" = "yes" ]
   then
	mount -a -t nfs
   fi

also - another clever trick is to put the mount command early
in /etc/rc and simply run it in the background.  Then, it's likely
that the nameserver will get "cranked up" before the timeout
and the mounts will succeed...

 - Just a thought -
	- Dave Rivers -